Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?

I'm not impatient, just to clarify. But I thought it was unusual, probably even good that it takes so long at my club to get your first belt. Basics are particularly important in JJJ.



I've been training nearly a year and I've still got my white, nobody has mentioned a grading or anything. Some other guys had been at the club a year before I joined, and they're still white belts too.



So how long does it take at other clubs and in other disciplines to get your first belt? I kinda laugh cos my friend who started hapkido at the same time that i start JJJ is already like blue belt...How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?In our Ju Jutsu class, there is no time frame by which a student should be testing for their first color belt. We have to be able to present the required waza with confidence and demonstrate three to four henke of each aspect of Ju Jutsu... and WE are the ones who have to request to be pre-tested. Our instructor tells us that when we feel ready, we ask. If he tells us when we are ready, how will we ever be able to evaluate ourselves? It took me six months to progress from white to orange, and I've been an orange for almost a year now.



In our Hap Ki Do class, we have testings only four times a year. Our Hap Ki Do instructor presents a list of takedowns, kicks, breakfalls, and knowledge that a student must be able to present with confidence in order to qualify to test. If a student is not ready in, say, July, then there is always the October testing. And again, some people advance more rapidly than others. It also took me six months to go from white to orange in Hap Ki Do.



In Judo, once again we have to meet a set number of requirements and present those requirements confidently in order to advance. I started Judo in 1997, and ten years later (with time off to have three children) I am STILL a white belt. Both my judo sensei and my Ju Jutsu shihan tell me I have some of the best, most fluid throws they have ever seen, almost Dan level. But... I am awful at the matwork, the grappling aspect, and without that I cannot advance from white belt, nor would I want a concession because I've been at it this long. I haven't earned it.



In traditional Tae Kwon Do, there are 10 color ranks starting at white belt. Unfortunately, there are %26quot;McDojangs%26quot; or belt factories where students test every three months, regardless of whether they are ready to progress or not. These kind of schools give reputable TKD academies a bad name. In true TKD, one does not advance in rank until they have met the requirements for rank and can demonstrate them with confidence and without being prompted by an instructor. Schools that hand out rank every three months are only in it for one thing: profit. We have a school like that here, and whenever one of their high ranks transfers to us, they are invariably actually a white belt because they cannot even meet the most basic of our white belt requirements.



So, for TKD as well, there is not set time frame for testing. Our students need to know certain Korean terms and dojang commands, proper stances, proper seated positions, six hand strikes, six blocks, four kicks, one form, five one steps, five choke escapes, one pressure point, and, if they are children, have to complete one responsibility assignment (chores for a month at home) and have a letter of recommendation from their schoolteacher in order to test from white belt to white with yellow belt. It is completely individual. Some students may take three months and be ready. We spoke with one student this evening who is now in his 14th month of training and is still a white belt.



What it comes down to in any art (excluding the belt factories) is that you get out of your art what you put into it. If you go to one class per week, don't bother to practice while you're away, and then return to class the following week without having so much as practiced a stance, you are going to stay a white belt for a long time. If you come to two or more classes per week, practice for at least a half hour per day at home, and visualize your techniques when you cannot physically do them, you will advance far more quickly.



Don't forget also that each martial art tends to have its own belt rank system. At our TKD school, we follow the guidelines set by the Kukkiwon, TKD world headquarters: only white, yellow, green, blue, red, and black belt. My Hap Ki Do instructor's belt system goes from white to orange low, orange high, green, blue, green low, green high, blue, brown low, brown high, black. In Ju Jutsu, our ranks for from white to yellow to orange to green low to green high to brown low to brown intermediate to brown high to black. A color in your school may be a completely different rank elsewhere.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?TKD students can earn a rank advancement every 3 months or so if they work hard enough. 12 rank advancements to black belt, so 3-4 years.



(12 = 10 colored belts, plus bo-dan %26quot;deputy black belt%26quot;, plus the 1st dan black belt itself)



P.S.: in reference to Ana's answer below, I respect the fact that Ana has high standards at her studio, and her knowledge of a wide range of martial arts is certainly far superior than mine. I know nothing about Jiu Jitsu, so I cannot give any advice in that discipline.



Nevertheless, I stand by my assertion that, in tae kwon do, a dedicated student can earn a belt rank in 3 months. Of course, it must be earned (not bought, or given to an undeserving student). The student must be able to demonstrate the belt level curriculum with skill and confidence. How quickly each student accomplishes that is largely up to the individual student. In my admittedly limited experience, 3 months is an attainable goal for a dedicated student.



However, it is also the responsibility of the instructors to teach, and to encourage the students to progress. I feel that, if a student is studying nothing but tae kwon do, it would be an exceptional case in which a student has not advanced from white belt to high white after 14 months of regular study.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?If it's a good school, you'll be ranked at a rate that's best for you (regardless of art) . Some schools will do all their rankings once a month or every three months, and if you miss that day, you're stuck. At my school it's done on an individual basis. In my aiki class, it took me a year- but I learned a lot in that year, and Japanese arts (excluding karate) tend to take a longer time than others before the first ranking. Some schools won't mention when your grading is, like mine- when you're there long enough, you figure out a pattern for how a teacher grades people and after that you kinda just know. I was lucky to see my friend test, who started a year before me, so I knew when I'd test and what was expected of me. After that, I actually caught up to him and now we're the same rank. I suspect the same is happening to you. Watch the group just ahead of you and you'll see what I mean. Cheer up and know that you will get ranked. :)How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?I don't know about JuJitsu, but in my karate, you can be a whitebelt forever. It's not about time at all, but about accomplishing the curriculum set before you. For Instance, my white belts need to either learn Naihanchi or Sanchin Kata (I give them the choice) as well as have the 8-precepts memorized and be able to perform the basics. (waza/ Charts) Once these are accomplished, be it a week, a month or a year or longer, my students reach yellow belt. Each dojo though is different.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?Any quality gym will make you wait and make sure you know what you're doing before promoting you.



When I took Hapkido, they were promoting people every couple of months and a lot of people who didn't deserve to move up did.



I've been taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for two and a half years and I've just now made it to blue. I feel that it's way more of an accomplishment than anything I ever did in Hapkido.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?As long as it takes the students to perfect their techniques enough to advance in rank.

.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?Any RGDA affiliated BJJ school will advance you when you deserve it. The instructors are extremely personable and give time to each individual. You don't ask to be tested, and to do so would most likely be considered rude. Your instructor will eventually approach you when he feels that you are ready for your test. White belt usually lasts between 6 months to over a year.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?In the kajukenbo system I train in and teach, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. It is dependent upon the student and the instructor.



%26quot;A black belt doesn't matter, how black and blue you leave your opponent does.%26quot;

Sibak : Hook

Kajukenbo kenpoHow long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?You should feel lucky your were you are. Belts are nothing and I'm sure that you could wipe the floor with your blue belted friend. I would lay odds on you against may blackbelts from many other styles. It takes years in jiu jitsu to gain %26quot;belt rank%26quot; it isn't as %26quot;business%26quot; like right now. Be proud of your skills because they are leaps and bounds above high ranks of most other styles.How long is the white belt period in Jiu Jitsu and other martial arts?i practice aikido, we only have white and black belts nothing else. because competence isn麓t found in the color of a belt. its only use is to hold your gi together.

No comments:

Post a Comment