Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?

I've been doing karate for about 6 months now and when i took my 8 Kyu (yellow belt) test, my Sense said that i would be moving to 7 Kyu (orange belt). How often does this happen? What can/ should i do to prepare myself for my 6 Kyu (green belt) test in June?How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?It happens sometimes but usually only at the lower belts. Someone will have some skills and previous experience in another similar martial art and the ability to learn things faster. Also once in a while you get a person that is just a super athlete who is driven and has the time to practice and learns quickly. While this is less common it does happen especially if they have learned a good portion of the requirements for that next belt. You almost never see this beyond the intermediate belts though.How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?I took Shotokan karate for years in IL. I can tell you moving up a belt happens once in a while for sure. If you also had a stripe system like I did, you have to look at it as how well they think you did in terms of the stripes. When I did my best I went up 3 stripes, other times I went up two, but I only once went from Yellow to Orange. (I went White/Yellow/Orange/Green/Blue/Purple/Br?Black) If you do everything near perfect, you will skip a belt depending on who watches and grades your tests and who you are testing with or with at the same time. As for what you can do, work on keeping a low stance and stay appropriately level when you move, be crisp and firm without pausing at the end of your strikes and moves, don't forget get breathing spirit, and keep it tight and balanced during basics and kata.How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?That happens from time to time. Especially if you have previous training in another style or have ever taken karate before. Their theory is that you will be able to catch up quickly.



A guy just joined my club actually and he jumped to orange the same day as I tested for orange. It felt wierd me helping him with katas when he's the same belt as me...How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?only 1 time every 5000 years or so. actually this is part of the shotokan test...first you given and extra belt...now you have to go to the dojo and kick the sensei in the nuts or you failHow often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?It happens!!!!



Some times people progress faster than others.



Best wishes :)***How often does it happen to skip a belt in Shotokan Karate?that's pretty fast to be promoted....are you in the little babies class

No comments:

Post a Comment