Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I tighten the belt on my 1970 VW Beetle 1600cc engine?

It's very loose and flaps around. There doesn't seem to be any sort of bracket or mounting to tighten it with. I've heard something about pulley spacers in the past that tighten the belt but I'm unsure of this and need some general guidance. Thanks!How do I tighten the belt on my 1970 VW Beetle 1600cc engine?Listen to what Michael S has to say!



Buy a new belt when you start to do the adjustment.How do I tighten the belt on my 1970 VW Beetle 1600cc engine?remove the nut on the generator pulley ( 19 or 21 millimeter nut) then remove the front half of the pulley, move 2 or 3 of the round spacers from the center section of the pulley to the outside of it (where the nut goes) you just have to keep removing spacers and put it back together to see how tight it is until the belt is snug. if you cant get it tight then you have to replace the belt, the belt size should be 9.5 by 905

No comments:

Post a Comment