Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I check the timing belt on a 2001 Prelude?

I recently got a 2001 Honda Prelude. All the cars I've owned before have be rear wheel drive with a small block. Will I need to pull the valve cover to get to the timing belt cover?How do I check the timing belt on a 2001 Prelude?First things first. Check the back of owners manual for the maintenance schedule. I believe it the timing belt shouldn't need changed till 105,000 miles. So if your not close to that, don't worry about it. But once it does get to it, take it to a Honda Dealership or a garage that specializes in Honda's and have them do it. It's pretty time consuming, about 4 hours with the right tools. The cost of the parts isn't much at all. Probably around a $100. It's the labor that gets ya. Also, it's a good idea to replace the water pump at this time as well, because the timing belt goes around the water pump pulley as well. Only makes sense to do it while you're in there.How do I check the timing belt on a 2001 Prelude?take it to a shop if over 100,000km honda engines are interference engines if the belt breaks bye bye valves also spend the extra money and replace the timing belt tesioner can by it with the belt as a kit. Sucks if you replace the belt and the tensioner gets noisey then your doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment